Look Up , Look Under, Look Out (2017)
Part of the Paisley 2021 bid, Look Up, Look Under, Look Out aimed to develop children’s creative dance skills and engage their imagination.
The project allowed the children to ‘look up, look under, look out’ and explore the history and architectural wonders in their communities. Pupils from eight Renfrewshire primary schools each selected a local building or piece of architecture to focus on. YDance staff visited the school each week and used the building as a stimulus for a dance piece.
The 12 week project of historical visits, cross-curricular lessons and creative dance classes culminated in a performance at Johnstone Town Hall, Johnstone on Thursday 30th March, 2017. The performance was inspired by what the children discovered about their town and its history, and reflected their own connections with those places. Look Up, Look Under, Look Out explored the People, Place and Environment Experiences and Outcomes from Curriculum for Excellence alongside the E’s and O’s for Dance at Second Level.
- St Fillan’s Primary School (Houston) chose Paisley Abbey
- Arkelston Primary School (Renfrew) chose The White Cart Bridge
- Howwood Primary School (Howwood) chose the Water Mill in Paisley
- Lochwinnoch Primary School (Lochwinnoch) chose their school
- Fordbank Primary School (Johnstone) chose The Hub/Johnstone Sports Centre
- St John Bosco Primary School (Erskine) chose Erskine Bridge
- St Paul’s Primary School (Paisley) chose Marr Hall/The Old Erskine Hospital
- Inchinnan Primary School (Renfrew) chose India of Inchinnan