Destinations is the national youth dance performance platform for youth dance companies from across Scotland.
Each year, youth dance groups of all styles of dance are invited to apply to take part in a spectacular annual performance event. This national youth dance platform is an exciting opportunity for groups with dancers aged 12 – 21 to showcase their own creative piece of work.
From the applications, our judging panel select up to 14 groups to perform in a vibrant showcase of the best youth dance companies from across Scotland.
To take part in Destinations:
- Your youth dance group must be based in Scotland
- Your group must not include more than 15 dancers
- All dancers must be aged 12 – 21 (dancers with disabilities can be aged up to 25)
- Your dance piece must be between 2 and 7 minutes long
What are the benefits of taking part in Destinations?
Destinations is a fantastic opportunity for young dancers to showcase their own work to a live audience on one of Scotland’s main stages and gain valuable performance experience. The event also gives young people the chance to come together and meet other like-minded young dancers from across the country.
What costs are involved?
There is no charge to take part in Destinations.
When is the next Destinations?
The Destinations 2020 performance will take place on Saturday 7th March 2020 at Macrobert Arts Centre, Stirling.
Applications for Destinations should be made by group leaders by completing the form on our Apply Now page. Please note you will also be required to submit footage of your group’s piece. This can be supplied in a number of ways:
- Sending a DVD or flash drive through the post to YDance
- Emailing an electronic file via WeTransfer, Dropbox etc. to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Placing a YouTube or Vimeo weblink in your application form
Once applications close, a number of groups will be selected to perform at Destinations. The selection panel will select dance pieces which will create a programme that:
- Reflects the diversity of dance styles practiced across Scotland;
- Demonstrates excellence in performance;
- Showcases engaging and exciting choreography that gives young people clear ownership of the movement, relevant to their age and experience, and is authentic and empowering;
- Reflects the geographic spread of the sector.
All groups will be notified if they have been successful by Friday 24th January 2020.
Destinations 2020 U.Dance EXCLUSIVE!
YDance and industry body One Dance UK are working in partnership to offer four groups from Scotland the chance to perform at U.Dance 2020 which will be held in Glasgow from the 17th – 19th July 2020. Selection of the Scottish groups will be made at Destinations.
How do I apply?
Applications for Destinations 2020 are now open. The deadline for applications will be Sunday 19th January 2020. Groups will be selected by Friday 24th January 2020. See the Apply Now page for information on how to apply.