The National Youth Dance Company of Scotland (NYDCS)
Formed by YDance in 2012, the National Youth Dance Company of Scotland is the flagship contemporary dance company for Scotland’s exceptional young dancers aged 16 – 21.
The company works with YDance Artistic Director Anna Kenrick, in a series of creation intensive weekends once a month, to explore, create and rehearse a new work to be toured nationally and internationally. Dancers also get the opportunity to take part in exchanges with international youth dance groups and companies. The work of the National Youth Dance Company of Scotland aims to change the perceptions of what youth dance is and can be. The pieces showcase the movement language, individuality and minds of the dancers in the company that year.
Photos by Paul Watt Photography
To become a member of the National Youth Dance Company of Scotland you must:
- Be aged between 16 and 21
- Be from, or living in Scotland from September to August
- Be driven and dedicated with a desire to develop as a dancer
- Be able to commit to all rehearsal and performance dates detailed in the guidance document.
You DO NOT need to be in full time training to become a member of NYDCS.
What are the benefits for being a member of NYDCS?
The National Youth Dance Company of Scotland enables its members:
- To tour and perform nationally and internationally
- To develop as dancers, creators and performers
- To rehearse in a series of creation intensive weekends
- To meet and work with other choreographers
- To take part in exchanges with international and UK youth dance companies
- To have the opportunity to participate in other projects and perform with YDance
What costs are involved?
There is no membership fee for being part of the National Youth Dance Company of Scotland. You MUST attend all rehearsals and YDance will pay company members who travel more than 15 miles to rehearsals a maximum daily travel allowance of £15. Rehearsals are held in Glasgow. Please note that company members who live in Glasgow or within a 15 mile radius of Glasgow will not be eligible for the travel allowance payment for attending rehearsals. For performances, YDance will arrange transport or re-imburse dancer’s expenses (second class rail fares or equivalent). Company members may be asked to pay a contribution towards the cost of international work and/or to fund-raise for this work.
How do I apply?
Applications for the National Youth Dance Company of Scotland open in July and auditions are held in September. See the Apply Now page for information on how to apply.
If you would like the National Youth Dance Company of Scotland to perform at your next event, please email Lauren@ydance.org or call 0141 552 7712.