Project Y Evolution
Project Y Evolution is an aspirational and ambitious performance programme that allows young dancers aged 16 – 25 an insight into professional life as a dancer in a performing company.
Over two weeks during the summer, dancers take part in daily technique classes and work with highly respected choreographers to create new dance pieces for a performance that will premiere at the internationally acclaimed Tramway in Glasgow as part of a larger YDance performance showcase.
Project Y Evolution is for dancers aged 16 – 25yrs who want to:
- work with dancers who have similar passions and aspirations to theirs
- build confidence in themselves and their dance abilities
- gain invaluable experience of what it’s like to create, rehearse, perform and work like a professional dancer
- gain experience of the creation process and work with choreographers who have different processes, styles and movement techniques
- gain experience of the technical rehearsal and performance process in a major Scottish theatre
- develop and strengthen their dance technique and creative and performance skills
- experience being part of a dance company, creating, rehearsing, and performing with other likeminded and talented dancers from across Scotland, the UK and further afield
- return to school or college after summer with improved ability, confidence, skills, and knowledge
What’s Involved – Project Y Evolution
- Morning technique class in contemporary and hip hop
- Choreographic development workshops
- Creation of 2 new pieces for premier performance
- Technical and dress rehearsals
- Premier performance of 2 new pieces on the main stage as part of the Project Y Evolution showcase alongside the National Youth Dance Company of Scotland, Dublin Youth Dance Company, Horizons Inclusive Youth Dance company and pieces from the Hothouse young choreographers programme.
To take part in Project Y Evolution, you must:
- Be aged between 16 and 25 on the first day of the course
- Be able to commit to all rehearsal and performance dates
You DO NOT need to be Scottish or living in Scotland, and you DO NOT need to be in full-time training to take part in Project Y Evolution. Please note that professional dancers are not eligible to take part. If you are unsure whether or not you qualify, contact YDance on 0141 552 7712 or email email@example.com.
What past participants say
“Project Y was instrumental in me deciding to take dance seriously as a career and make the necessary steps to allow me to do that, immersing me in the professional world of a dance company.”
“Project Y ultimately led me to join the National Youth Dance Company of Scotland, which gave me the courage and confidence to audition for The Northern School of Contemporary Dance. It’s safe to say both Project Y and NYDCS helped me gain the place on the BA course by teaching me the maturity level and workload it takes to be a professional dancer.”
“I have made efforts to continue connections with many of the choreographers we worked with. For example, after meeting them at Project Y, I joined Errol White and Theo Clinkard for work experience.”
“I feel Project Y has changed the way I move and, most importantly, has changed my mindset. Now I love contemporary dance. Before Project Y, I was always too nervous to get up and move individually. Now I absolutely love being able to create my own movement!”
“It has helped me be more confident in my dancing and my working/performing abilities, to believe in myself and prove that it is possible to make dancing my living.”
Thanks to funding from the Leverhulme Trust the course fee for Project Y Evolution is just £200.
The Leverhulme Trust has also awarded YDance a small discretionary bursary fund so Project Y Evolution dancers can apply for a grant to reduce the fees they pay, or to help pay for travel and accommodation if they live more than 15 miles outside Glasgow. Grants will be decided on a sliding scale depending on total household income. For example you can expect to receive a grant of up to £200 if your total household income (before tax) is £25,000 or under, if you are in care or if you are in receipt of one of the following – Universal Credit; Young Carer Grant; Income Support; Income-based Job Seeker’s Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance; Refugee or Asylum seeker
Details on how to apply for this will be provided if you are offered a place on the course.
How to apply and auditions
Applications for Project Y Evolution are currently closed. Tickets to the Project Y Evolution performance will be on sale soon.
Keep up to date with all the latest YDance news by subscribing to our newsletter.
The Project Y Evolution is supported by the Leverhulme Trust.